Dust Suppression: Flexible, Customized, Complete
Help ensure governmental compliance. Create a safer workplace. Reduce risk of fire and explosions.
When you’re looking to control fugitive dust, you need a precisely engineered and properly applied chemical solution–injection system that reduces and even eliminates the dust.
Benetech specializes in dust suppression for bulk material handlers throughout the world. Our proven solutions integrate into your system to achieve your main objectives:
- Reduce risk of fire and explosions. When suspended in air in certain conditions, many types of fugitive dust that escape from bulk material flow can become combustible. If the dust ignites, it can cause great harm to people and property.
- Decrease inhalable and respirable dust hazards. Breathing inhalable or respirable dust can threaten personal health. Larger and heavier inhalable dust will often lodge in the nose, throat or upper respiratory tract. Smaller and finer respirable dust can permeate the lungs and respiratory system.
- Satisfy regulatory compliance. OSHA, MSHA and the EPA all publish rules and guidelines on the need or requirement to reduce airborne dust. In addition, starting in September 2020, performing a Dust Hazards Analysis (DHA) of how dust hazards are being lessened and managed will be a required safety practice.
- Fulfill environmental responsibility. Beyond a bulk material handler’s concern for employees, an operation has an obligation to contribute to local safety by restricting fugitive dust that can travel into the community.
- Lessen maintenance work and expense. Build-up of fugitive dust creates extra housekeeping that costs you in lost labor and time. It can also cause your conveyor equipment and systems to wear prematurely.
Even More than the Right Chemicals
At Benetech, we know dust control goes beyond using a chemical. It also calls for your own program that applies methods based on premium support and technology.
Our engineers specialize in designing, fabricating and installing custom dust suppression systems. That includes managing hydrophobic materials (those that try to repel water from the surface). Benetech dust suppression lowers the water’s surface tension to a value closer to that of the material being treated, which lets the water droplets capture more dust particles.
Benetech’s chemical agents also are non-flammable, non-toxic, non-explosive and biodegradable.
Solutions for Different Areas and Industries
Benetech dust suppression allows you to reduce and control fugitive dust throughout your facility:
- Transloading hoppers
- Haul roads
- Transfer points
- Rail and truck dumps
Our chemicals and applications solve challenges for diverse businesses as well:
- Aggregate operations
- Cement plants
- Ports and terminals
- Biomass power plants
- Pulp and paper mills
- Steel mills and coking facilities
- Coal-fired power plants
- Pet coke power plants
- Recycling facilities
- Waste transfer facilities
The following case study illustrates the impact that proper dust suppression can have on bulk material–handling operations.
Dust Suppression in Action
A 44 MW biomass power station in California was experiencing excessive fugitive dusting during off-loading of biomass fuel trucks to the boom stackout conveyor. To try to control the dust, they were adding 10-12% moisture (by weight) with water sprays at five locations in the conveying process.
Related issues from the extra airborne dust and water usage included reduced heat rate for power generation, degradation of material during storage and belt-tracking problems from moisture.
Needing a solution, management consulted Benetech. We designed and installed a dust suppression system that improved and simplified application to one location (truck dump feeders) at grade. The new system further lowered the moisture addition to less than 2% by weight.
Since the date of installation, the results have remained the same from the conveying process to stackout on the pile:
- More than 90% reduction of dust levels
- No need for a hard-to-maintain spray system
- Better access for easier maintenance
- Greater heat rate from less moisture addition
- Fewer housekeeping issues caused by material build-up
Defeat Your Dust Starting Today
We know you want your operation to be safer, cleaner, more productive and more profitable. We’re ready to support you when you need a dust suppression system for your bulk material handling. Contact us at (630) 844-1300 to speak with a Benetech specialist.